Arugula is also known as "rocket" or "roquet". These notched leaves have a deep peppery flavor. THe texture of the leaves is very smooth and there is nothing like it. I guess if you do not like peppery food you may not like it, but I just think that's crazy. You've probably already eaten it in a mesclen mix before as it is quite popular all over the US.
QUICK IDEAS: chop with other greens and lettuce into a salad and add mozzarella; chop up and add to a cheese sandwich; make it into a pasta sauce
Strawberry Arugula Salad: serves 4
from Farm-Fresh and Fast
1 head lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
1 bunch arugula, torn into bite-size pieces
1 pint strawberries, halved
⅓ cup sliced toasted almonds
3 oz feta, crumbled
3 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp poppy seeds
½ tsp sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Place the lettuce, arugula, and strawberries in a large salad bowl and top with the toasted almonds and crumbled feta. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, poppy seeds, salt, and pepper. Add the olive oil in a slow stream while whisking. Toss the salad with the dressing immediately before serving.
Apple Pecan Arugula Salad
from Minimalist Baker
1/2 cup raw pecans (or other nuts)
**In the directions you roast the nuts in your oven; if you wish to skip that step just purchase roasted nuts
7 ounces arugula
2 small apples (one tart, one sweet), peeled, quartered, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
2 tbsp dried cranberries (optional)
for the Dressing:
1 large lemon, juiced
1 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp olive oil
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and arrange pecans on a bare baking sheet.
2) Bake pecans for 8-10 minutes, or until fragrant and deep golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside.
3) While pecans are toasting, prep remaining salad ingredients and add to a large mixing bowl.
4) Prepare dressing in a mixing bowl or mason jar by adding all ingredients and whisking or shaking vigorously to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed.
5) Add pecans to salad and top with dressing. Toss to combine and serve immediately.
6) Store leftovers (dressing separate from salad) covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days (though best when fresh).